The Mesquite Symphonic Band
is formerly known as the Mesquite Community Band. The
name was officially changed in 2000. Community bands
have been in existence in Mesquite for quite some time.
A picture from 1902 reveals some prominent figures in
Mesquite playing in a community band. The band consisted
of only sixteen musicians which included, Sneed
Kimbrough (R.S. Kimbrough Middle School) on clarinet,
Ernst Gross (Gross Road) on clarinet, and E.V. Paschall
(Paschall Park) on trumpet.
The Mesquite Community Band became an official
organization in 1986. The first board meeting was held
on February 24, 1986. The original board included two
current board members—Mary Perry and Cecelia Riggle.
Charter members of the band are James Edwards, Chris
George, Lex and Lynn Grantham, Elizabeth Massey, Cecelia
Riggle, and Carol Simler. The first rehearsal was held
in the North Mesquite High School band hall on April 6,
1986. The first performance was held at City Junction
Jamboree on June 7, 1986. John Kline, former band
director for North Mesquite High School and Fine Arts
Director for MISD, directed the band. In 1989, the baton
was passed on to Alton Polk. Alton was the band director
for Mesquite High School from 1965 to 1989. In 1995,
Dale Coates was named as the new director of the band.
On April 15, 1995, Dale directed his first concert with
the Mesquite Community Band at Mesquite Country Church.
Dale is also a former band director for both private and
public schools. Currently, he is the owner of Furniture
Rehab, a furniture restoration and antique emporium
located in Sunnyvale.
The band is
made up of volunteer musicians from high school through
retirement age. The band has performed for numerous
events and in many different venues, some of which are:
the Mesquite Hot Air Balloon Festival, the Mesquite Air
Show, the North Texas Area Community Band Extravaganza,
the Mesquite July 4th Celebration, Civic Expressions,
dedication ceremonies, park concerts, and several local